Monday, November 5, 2012

furniture upgrade


I posted a couple of weeks ago about finding furniture for Cohen's nursery. We decided to revamp some old furniture we already had. It was nice furniture, just a little outdated and beat up and not to my taste preferences. We had a beautiful old cedar chest that came to Michael from grandmother and a hand me down dresser from one of his sisters -- she has 6 children so you can imagine that it has taken a beating over time. : )

Michael took on the task of refinishing the cedar chest since it required a lot of sanding, stain and finish that is not healthy for pregnant lady! I had the task of the dresser since I decided to repaint it with chalk paint which is low odor and does not require any sanding, stripping or any other harsh chemicals. Chalk paint is really, really cool! It goes on super smooth right over the existing finish and dries super fast. It has a weird feel when it dries but once you finish it in either wax or satin finish, it feels much smoother. It's super great for giving furniture a distressed, vintage look. After I put two coats of paint on, I took a piece of sandpaper to a few spots to scratch off some paint and change the color a little bit before I put the finish on. I went with the satin finish because it's supposed to be a little more hardy and durable than the wax. The only downside of chalk paint is the price. It's $35 for a quart... a QUART! Plus another $30 for a PINT of finish. But when you're working with free furniture, it's not so bad. : )

Needless to say, we are VERY happy with the finished products and it looks like our quest for the actual furniture part of the nursery is complete. Now just on to the decor! Pottery Barn Baby, here we come!

The product... CeCe Caldwell's Chalk Paint in "Seattle Mist"
and Satin Finish. That's $70 worth of paint right there!


Before
Before


After one coat. It goes on a lot dark than it dries.
One coat



One Coat

The finish product! Two coats of chalk paint and satin finish and I added new hardware!

Cedar Chest before... The color is not so great. 
After hubby sanded it all down... It looks even worse!

He used several coats of Minwax Ebony Stain and Polyurethane Sealer... Looks revamped and beautiful now!

Keep a lookout for these pieces when there are pictures of the complete nursery!

Also stay tuned for our next DIY post... : )

2 comments:

  1. Ok, love the color name of your chalk paint! :) And where did you buy it? I have never seen chalk paint in stores here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you when I picked out the Seattle Mist color! I happened across it at this little antique store in town. I think if you go to her website http://cececaldwells.com/, there's a place where you can find retailers wherever you live. There's another brand called Annie Sloan Chalk Paint which I haven't tried but I'm sure they have a place on their site too to find a retailer! : )

    ReplyDelete